5 Helpful Windows Vista Tips

Windows Vista partitions?
So I dabbled in dual booting Linux and Vista recently. I couldn't get Linux to boot, so I went into the administrative tools on vista and made the Ubuntu partition "active." But I need Vista; Ubuntu was just fun to mess around in. So I put in the Vista Repair CD and it couldn't find my vista installation.


I can still open command prompt on the disc though, and see all of my files. I need to either make my vista partition bootable again, or reformat my Ubuntu partition so it defaults back to the vista, only using command prompt. Oh, and command prompt can't find my Ubuntu partition to begin with.....help!!

Should I upgrade to Windows Vista?
I have been trying to come up with reasons why I should upgrade to Vista but I have not found any compelling reasons. Before anyone gives me the marketing rundown of the new 'features' in Vista, let me tell you how I use my computer:

* I live in my applications, not in the GUI interface (I currently use Windows XP and the first thing I did was disable the Themes service)

* For digital media, I use Photoshop (Bridge for media management) / Acrobat / Dreamweaver / Eclipse / iTunes / Firefox / Thunderbird / Canopus Edius / PowerDVD (for those times when I want to watch a movie in the office)

* I stopped gaming a long time ago

If I wanted a pretty interface, I could use my wife's Mac.

Fan too loud while running Windows Vista!
Anyone else finding that a Vista upgrade makes your Nvidia graphics card fan run at max all the time? My system is so much louder than before as to make it unpleasant just having it on. (It's a 6600 GT/ Athlon 3400+/VIA chipset on the mobo.)

Good video cards to run Windows Vista's Aero?
I have read all about the high end cards! However I have yet to find the least expensive that says it will run the Aero Experience on Vista?

I have an Albatron KX600 Pro Mainboard @ 1 gig. of Corsair Memory PC3200.

The CPU is an AMD 2500+ and a Power Color Radeon 9200 SE card with 128 MB DDR @ AGP 8X. I do sims like Nascar, Pro Pilot, Golf, ect... You get the idea :) Old Man stuff.

I do not do any of the latest games; however I do copy Video and Music...

Open for suggestions.

Is my PC bad for gaming with Windows Vista?
Under XP, I don't really have any issues running anything with everything turned up. FEAR, Company of Heroes, whatever. Company of Heroes I can play on the medium maps with all options turned up at my native resolution and I don't run into any slow down. If I try the large maps, I have some slow down. Now on Vista, I can barely play CoH on the small 2 player maps! It absolutely crawls.

I just picked up Shadow Run and it is a beast. I have to turn down just about everything and go to 1024X780 (which looks awful on my monitor) and turn down all the graphics options.

So where is my problem? The CPU? My slow SATA drives? Do I need to get another 7600 GT and SLI them to run at my native resolution due to the large screen size? Any help would be appreciated.

The Golden Oldie
Each week we'll pick a Top Tip from the past for your reading enjoyment.

What is using up all of my friend's RAM?
Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to help me out with this one. A friend of mine recently purchased an Aspire Aspire 5100 with Windows Vista Home Premium and 1GB of RAM. However, upon going into the properties, it only displays his RAM as 765 MB. Given that 1GB of RAM equals 1024MB, I am confused.

I have looked at some computers that may display 2048MB as, say, 1,982 or perhaps 512MB as 504. But I thought that 765MB was a little bit drastic. He has just unpackaged it, and the stick of RAM in the slot is in fact a 1GB stick. I'm sure this is a simple explanation and/or fix, but I have never seen it like this before.

Tech Support: Cries for Help!
If you have a moment please be a good Samaritan and drop by with your input into the problems these folks are trying to figure out.

What can cause high CPU usage?
Firstly I had onboard video, which works fine. Then I decided to upgrade nothing to fancy so installed a HD 2400 pro from Saphire. Did everything the right way uninstall the old program and also in the device manager. Put the new one in followed up what should be done looks fine but notice there was a lot of lag. So checked on the task manager and lo behold running constantly running CPU usage 50% strange.

So I uninstalled it and went back to onboard back to normal 1 to 2 % CPU usage and 0% looks ok. So I put a different video card in GeForce XFX 8600 followed up as above then rebooted and on. Check the task manager 0% to 2% looks good so I suspect maybe it's a faulty card or not compatible with the main board. But it has an ATI chipset so still strange though. So I'll try that video card on a different computer later and see what happens

I don't need any help just to say what I experienced. Why it did that that a mystery to solve.

Best connection for HDTV?
Just had a quick question, on my new build i was running onboard video through and HDMI cable to a 32" HDTV, looked great no problems resolution was around 12xx X 9xx (don't remember the exact right now i can supply them soon). Now i just bought an 8800GTS by PNY with two DVI connection and S-video out. As of now i have it connected through S-video and it doesn't look quite as good (well no dugh its SDTV port), and only capable of 1027 X 768.

Now to the question, i have a bunch of choices to change the connect for a different quality, but I'm questioning what will give the best connection..... Anyone have exp with this? I was pondering just getting a DVI to HDMI female adapter to use the HDMI port. Would this give the best resolution? Also, the refresh rate is standard at 60Hz...

Google notebook app for my PC?
I like to save words, links, and pictures on some of my projects.

I am using Word - a sledgehammer to drive a tack, it's slow and awkward. Google Notebook is sort of OK but I want it on my HD.

Suggestions? Thanks

Buy DDR2 Memory now or wait until price goes down more?
I am thinking of building a computer however, i unable to buy all the parts at once. I am forced to buy them one piece at a time.

Since DDR2 memory are getting cheaper every months i want to know if it would be saver to buy now to save money or wait until the memory goes cheaper down the road.

Like for example:

Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400 2GB 2X1GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL 5-5-5-18 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory For $27.99 after rebate.

What do you think?

Sansa E200 Mp3 Player and Macbook?
I have a MacBook (OS X 10.4) and would like to use my mp3 mentioned above and download/upload music to it using i-tunes. However, the MacBook will not recognize the Sansa E200. Does anybody know of any third party software that I can use on my MacBook that will allow me to do this? Thanks.

External hard drive?
I have an "old" 250 GB PATA hard drive that i would like to put into an external enclosure to use over usb 2, however i was wondering how much if any it would reduce the speed. Right now i can transfer to the drive at around 42 Megabytes per second while it is connected inside my computer; data 'test' is being transferred from a 3 GB/s SATA 500 GB drive to the 250 GB PATA drive.

That's it for this week, see you in the forum!

source : extremetech.com



Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Followers



Source Code